Saturday, March 7, 2009

Do You Think Friends With Benefits Work?

Let me begin by saying that I've never understood the friends with benefits concept. I know that it means you have a friend and a sex partner all in one with no strings attached or the desire for a commitment. I have never been able to understand why someone would want that kind of relationship.

Perhaps it's because I find it difficult being partially involved with a person that I am with physically. When I'm with someone physically, I'm also choosing to be with them mentally, emotionally, and spiritually as well.

There is more to being human than our physical bodies so what good is there to bumping bodies when there's no inner connection. I happen to believe that the friends with benefits concept, is just a clever way for certain people to not want to own up to the fact that their actions have consequences.

If you're over the age of twenty-five and you're still running around playing the friends with benefits game, you're not being responsible, mature, or real. People develop attachments over time with other people they spend time with unless you have some severe personality or mental disorder.

And to want to have the experience with the person but not the person is somewhat shallow and selfish. What ends up happening is that one of the partners in this "no strings attached relationship" develops feelings and ends up either hurt or in denial of ones feelings.

The world is huge and no doubt there are people who like such relationships and maybe these partnerships work for them. However, if you're like me and you meet one of these people, don't fool yourself into believing that you can play at this game and win. If you can't separate your heart from your head, you're in good company.

No comments: