Saturday, January 24, 2009

How Do You Know When Love Is Forever

Every relationship I had, I believe I thought it would last forever, or at least I hoped it would. And some of them came quite close but then would dissolve for reasons that were out of my control. And for every person that broke my heart I, in turn, broke another’s.

Had you tried telling me when I was in my twenties to slow down I would have looked at you as if you were from outer space because finding love and companionship was what people my age were all about.

We’d hit the local bars and nightclubs dancing to songs like, “Boogie Wonderland” and “Never Gonna Give You Up” followed by early morning hours at the yellow breakfast house (you know what I’m talking about) and then we’d all go back to the dorm rooms or somebody’s house and settle into the arms of our respective love interest while falling asleep to the sounds of B and Butthead.

Man, how time flies, relationships come and go, people live and die, some stay and others move on. Where are you today, I wonder? Are you still kicking it as if it were your freshman and sophomore year or have you move on?

Through all the time I have lived life learning about myself and life, I have come to two conclusions. One, as Socrates might say, everything is speculative. And two, at least from my own point of view, love really is forever.

I never knew it at the time but what I had been experiencing throughout the ups and downs of a breakup, a makeup, a good relationship and a bad one was really me learning the power of love through myself. The hearts I had broken were my own and the ones I had chosen to love were also my own and today that love resides in the same place it came from many years ago, inside of me.

It’s there always … whether you are there or I am not.

No comments: